Volunteers and staff are asked to provide character references at the beginning of their scouting journey as a component of our screening procedure.
A new reference check is also requested when a Scouter returns from a break-in-service, meaning they took a 3 year or longer break away from Scouting.
A check is also requested when a Scouter moves to a new group. In this case we ask for a reference from their former Group Commissioner instead of 3 new passed references.
When a Scouter first completes their volunteer application in MyScouts they are asked to provide five references with contact information. When these are included in a volunteer application form they go directly from our system to a third-party who we have complete reference checks on our behalf, Backcheck. An email is sent from Backcheck to the character references added by the Scouter candidate with a series of questions. These are submitted online via this email, they go directly to Backcheck who update our system with the results automatically.
If we don’t receive three passed references back from Backcheck you and your Group Commissioner will be reached out to in separate emails to initiate a manual reference check.
Scouter candidates are asked to submit within their application five references that include:
a. A co-worker or workplace supervisor
b. If the individual has volunteered with another youth-serving organization, a person from the organization. Where the applicant has volunteered with another organization and has not provided a reference from that organization, the file is referred to the Safe Scouting Department
c. Others who can attest to the person’s character
d. At least two references who have known the applicant for the past five years
e. More character references when a workplace or youth-serving organization reference cannot be provided
- Applicants and references may not be related by blood, adoption, or marital status.
- For youth volunteers who are already members of Scouts Canada please include Section Scouter or Group Commissioner as a reference.
- If your references are unable to respond in English or French please let the help centre know so they are able to coordinate a translation through Backcheck
- Some email addresses are protected by firewalls & may prevent the reference check email from being received. Request personal email addresses from references rather than work email addresses. Specifically, avoid Government of Canada email addresses.
Some email addresses are protected by firewalls & may prevent the reference check email from being received. Request personal email addresses from references rather than work email addresses. Specifically, avoid Government of Canada email addresses.
- Would you recommend the candidate?
- How well does the candidate work with adults?
- How well does the candidate work with youth?
- Would you entrust this candidate with the care of your own child?
- What is your relationship to candidate?
- How long have you known the candidate?
Still need help? Please feel free to contact the Scouts Canada Help Centre