Scouting Fundamentals is an online learning component of Volunteer screening. In order to volunteer with Scouts Canada Volunteers (Scouters) are asked to complete this training.
'Scouting Fundamentals' is made up of six sessions that includes the Respect in Sport for Activity Leaders.
Scouting Fundamentals is completed during the Scouter screening process therefore Volunteers are required to complete Scouting Fundamentals in order to gain an 'Active' status which allows them to work with the Group and youth directly.
It is intended that all new volunteers complete Scouting Fundamentals before Wood Badge I for The Canadian Path.
Login to MyScouts
Select David Huestis Learning Centre (DHLC) from the left side menu
From the David Huestis Learning Centre homepage, click on Scouting Fundamentals from the My Courses widget.
The Scouting Fundamentals Course Home page.
- My Home will bring you to the Learning Centre homepage.
- Course Home will bring you to this course homepage.
- Content will bring you to the course content.
- Awards will show you the certificates and badges you have earned from completing learning content.
- Learner Progress will show you your course progress summary.
- Useful Links will bring you to resources on Scouts.ca and Help links will direct you to the Help Centre and Online Support Centre.
- Announcements widget will show you instructions and share important information.
- Explore My Learning Content widget will allow you to quickly jump to a content topic within the course.
To get started, click on Content from the top navigation bar.
- Table of Contents on the left side will help you navigate through the course. The numbers in the boxes next to each Session title tell you how many content topics are outstanding to complete. Use the Table of Contents to jump to various Sessions and topics within the course.
- Session description will show you the Learning Outcomes for each session and estimated duration.
- The Progress bar will show you how far you are along the learning for this session.
- To begin the session, click on a content topic from the list. You will see a checkmark once you have completed the topic.
When you click on a content topic within a course, you will open a content browser.
- Breadcrumb navigation allows you to keep track and maintain awareness of your locations within the course.
- Expandable Table of Contents will let you jump to various topics of the course. Click on the arrow to expand the Table of Contents.
3. Topic content area shows the learning content. Animated content will have icons to turn closed captions on/off, turn audio on/off and pause/play content.
4.Bookmark topics to save them to your Bookmarks list for quick access or to review later.
5.Click on the expanding arrow icon to view content in a new window.
6. When you complete the topic, click on the Forward button to move to the next topic. Use the Previous button to view the previous topic.
7. Activity Details section provides information about the content and/or what is required to complete the topic.
There are a few ways Scouters and Group Commissioners can confirm Scouting Fundamentals has been completed.
Scouters will receive a virtual badge showing completion as a pop-up notification
Also for Scouters Awards can be viewed by selecting 'Awards' from the top of the navigation bar
Scouters can also see their certificates issued once the full course content has been completed. Click on the icon to view completion information and to download a PDF Certificate of Completion.
Group Commissioners and Registrars can see the status of their Scouters screening in MyScouts.
Step1: Go to the Scouters profile page (use 'Find an Individual' or search through the section)
Step 2: View the middle of their page in the 'My Roles' tab (see screenshot). The last heading is 'Requires' here is where the requirements not yet fulfilled are listed. When they are completed the requirement will disappear until nothing is listed. At this time the Scouter's status will flip from Pending to Active & they will be able to begin Scouting with the group!
Still need help? Please feel free to contact the Scouts Canada Help Centre: