Scouts Canada is a Volunteer-led organization and always looks for new Volunteers to ensure that youth across Canada get to have great, safe Scouting adventures. This article will break down the steps to register as a Volunteer with your local Group, as well as what screening is required for all Scouters.
Every new Scouter is required to complete screening elements before he or she can wear the Scouting uniform and participate. These elements include:
- Police Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search
- A reference check with at least 3 passed references (only one of which may be a relative)
- A signed Code of Conduct
- Online learning
- Formal Interview
You can find more information about the Scouts Canada Volunteer Screening Policy here.
If you are a parent /guardian who is already registered with a MyScouts account
If you have a youth in Scouting who has been registered you already have a parent/guardian account that you used to register your youth. This account acts as an administrative account for your youth & will also serve as your account as a Volunteer.
If you are a parent/guardian/adult who is not registered with a MyScouts account please create a MyScouts account in order to register as a Volunteer. Please reference Gaining Access to MyScouts
**Note: Please have the contact details of 5 references on hand before beginning your volunteer registration*
IF you have a MyScouts account your first step is to log in. Once logged in you will see the option to 'Find a Group' at the top right side of the page
- In 'Find a Group'. If you see a group you would like to register with, and it has the option to ‘sign in to register’, or ‘register as a volunteer’, then you can register with the group online!
- Going to ‘create an account’ will take you to a page where you can fill in all of your personal information to create your own MyScouts account. Once you have created an account, and re-run the search in 'Find a Group', you should see these links updated as in the screenshot below.
- You can now register yourself as a volunteer, or register your child as a participant. As this article pertains to registering yourself as a volunteer, click on ‘register as a volunteer’. A pop-up box will appear where you can confirm the registration year you are registering for and click ‘continue’.
- On the next option, you will need to select ‘Myself’ as the person you want to register.
- The next few screens are where you will verify your details. This information should be completely accurate and up to date, as these are the details which will be sent to the group you are registering with. Remember that fields marked with a red asterisk are compulsory. Click on ‘save changes’ to advance screens.
- After entering personal information, you will arrive at the ‘add role’ screen, here you can select an appropriate role. It is important to select a fitting role or a default one will be added
- After agreeing to terms and conditions, the registration confirmation screen (as below example) will confirm the registration details and price of the membership fee (the fee for Volunteers is $0). Hit ‘continue’ if you are happy with all these details.
- The next screen will ask you to enter your references. You can add each reference by clicking 'Add reference'. Scouts Canada asks for 5 references at the time of registration but once 3 have replied it will fulfil this portion of your screening requirement.
Still need help? Please feel free to contact the Scouts Canada Help Centre: