This article is intended for all Commissioners and Registrars. It outlines details of the Scouter renewal process and how this process will work in MyScouts.
All 'Active' Scouters 18 years of age and over will receive a membership renewal email that will thank the Scouter for their contribution to Scouting and ask them to either 'confirm' or 'cancel' their membership for the next Scouting Year. The Commissioner or Registrar will then approve the annual appointment in MyScouts.
This is a change from previous years where Scouters were automatically renewed. Scouters only had the option to cancel their membership in the renewal email.
Commissioners are now able to approve the annual appointment of Scouters for the upcoming year in MyScouts. These changes are the result of feedback from Scouters across the country.
Before the start of the next Scouting year, all active Scouters 18 years of age or over as of the date the email is sent will receive an automated renewal email asking them to either confirm or cancel their membership for the current Scouting Year. Screening information and a list of their current roles are not included in the email.
New and returning Scouters under 18 years of age will need to be registered online by their parents. For all youth registrations, parents/guardians need to electronically give their consent to participate.
When a Scouter confirms their membership an automated email will be sent to the Scouter welcoming them back and an automated confirmation email will be sent to the Section and Group. When a Scouter clicks 'confirm' in the renewal email all Active Scouter roles will copy over to the current year and made 'Pending'.
If a Scouter cancels their membership an automated email will be sent to the Scouter thanking them for their service and letting them know that if circumstances change and they would like to pursue becoming a Volunteer again they can contact their Group or register online. An automated email notification will also be sent to the Section and Group.
If the Scouter takes no action when they receive the Scouter renewal email, a follow-up email will be sent to them in early August. If the Scouter does not act on the 2nd email before September 1st of the new Scouting year they will become inactive and will need to register if they want to remain a Scouter.
Commissioners and Registrars will have a ‘Scouter Approval’ link in ‘Org Options’. See screenshot for reference.
The Scouter Approval screen lists all 'Pending' Scouters for the current and next Scouting year. This includes 'Pending' Scouters that have been registered in MyScouts but not have not yet been made 'Active', as well as those Scouters who clicked the 'confirm' option in the Scouter renewal email.
The number beside the Scouter Approval link indicates the number of 'Pending' Scouters waiting to be made 'Active'.
The Scouter Approval found in the Group Profile is a time-effective way to approve and transfer more than one Scouter at a time.
Approval can be granted to members who have outstanding requirements but their roles will not be activated until the remaining screening elements have been met.
- Transfer the Scouter within the same Group by changing the Organization in the drop-down
- Change the role to Contact Scouter or Section Scouter
- 'Approve' or 'Remove' the 'Pending' Scouter role.
- Make all changes in one click by selecting 'Process Batch'.
- The default organization displayed is the current organization of the role and is marked with an asterisk ‘*’.
- Group Commissioners can 'Approve' all 'Pending' roles in the Group with the exception of the Group Commissioner. Group Commissioner roles will need to be 'Approved' by the Council or their delegate (Group Support Scouter, Scouting Relationship Manager, or Council Relationship Manager).
Group Commissioners can only be 'Approved' by the Council or their delegate (Group Support Scouter, Scouting Relationship Manager, or Council Relationship Manager). Accordingly, the Group Commissioner role does not include the 'Activate’ option in the Group’s 'Approval's Screen'. They will, however, appear in the Council and Relationship Manager's Scouter Approval Menu and can be 'Approved' there.
When should a role be approved?
- Scouter has completed their Volunteer Screening and is acceptable for service in that role.
- If a member is not fully screened they will not be 'Activated' for any reason. To assist the Commissioner in their efforts there is a ‘Requires’ field which displays any missing screening elements.
When should a role be deleted?
- When the member withdraws from the role before being made 'Active'.
- If the member is not acceptable for service.
- If the role was created in error.
Note: Deleting removes the role from all history and from a data perspective is as if the role had never existed.
Still need help? Please feel free to contact the Scouts Canada Help Centre.