This article will provide a step-by-step breakdown of how new prospective members can connect with local Groups. It will also provide some standard responses that are used by successful Groups.
The Find a Group page is a resource on Scouts.ca through which a member of the public can connect with local Scout Groups.
To use the Find a Group page, a user will need to enter their postal code and the age category of the child they seek to register. They can also filter results by days.
Once a request has been submitted, an email is sent to the Group’s ‘Primary Contact’ and the Section’s ’Primary Contact’, if applicable.
The Primary Group Contact’s information needs to be populated on the Group Organization Profile in MyScouts (see example below); the same as with the Primary Section Contact under the Section’s Organization Profile.
Please ensure that the Primary Contact information is current and up to date, and that the person(s) designated as the Primary Contact for the Group and Section is the best person for interested parties to connect with. Typically, a Section Contact Scouter is the Primary Contact for the Section while a Group Commissioner or Group Registrar is the Primary contact for the Group.
The Group Primary Contact does not need to be the Group Commissioner, but can any other designated Scouter who can respond to inquiries, both at the Group and Section level, and can do so in a timely manner. Timing is of critical importance with Find a Group contacts as they are often ready to immediately register their child for Scouting.
The Group or Section Primary Contact can be set or changed using the ‘Edit Organization Details’ option on the left side of an Organization page (see example above).
If there is no Section Primary Contact identified in MyScouts.ca, only the Group Primary Contact will receive the email. If there is no Section or Group Primary Contact populated on Myscouts, than the email is sent to the following people in the following order:
- Group Registrar
- Group Commissioner
- Area Registrar
- Area Commissioner
- Area Support Manager
- A family submits a ‘Find a Group’ request.
- The submission of the Find a Group request creates an email.
- The email is automatically sent to the primary contact (and secondary contact if applicable) of the Group the family selected (see above for more information on the primary Group contact).
- The Section and/or Group Primary Contact(s) responds to the inquiry by simply replying to the email they received. Once they reply, the family will receive the response.
- If the Group’s contact does not respond within 2 days, the ticket will be automatically reopened as a High Priority ticket to the attention of their Area Support Manager.
- The Area Support Manager will provide a response to the inquiry, checking for any applicable information from the Group’s profile on myscouts.ca.
- The Area Support Manager will continue to assist the prospective member until they have been successfully connected to a Group.
If you have any questions about this process, please don’t hesitate to contact us at the Help Centre. We would be happy to walk you through the process and make sure that we have the proper information inputted for your Group.
Still need help? Please feel free to contact the Scouts Canada Help Centre: